Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Challenge The First!

LE DEEP END

Dear Pickle:
When my baby brother was three, my mom famously took him for his first swimming lesson. A non-swimmer herself, she was anxious that her sweet little boy get a good, buoyant start. Imagine her surprise when they just threw tiny little KitKat into the pool and wouldn’t let her in to save her darling boy. Not that she could have anyway. She could only stand on the deck and have a conniption as he flailed about…

Before we get back to his fate, lemme tell you that I am sooooo excited about our blog! I've been trying to think of a first challenge that might be the culinary equivalent of tossing our baby butts right into the deep end (the, er, deep fryer?)

And so I challenge you to: A SOUFFLE. Sweet or savoury, your choice. But it must be a proper soufflé, the old school French kind that rises with egg whites – not one of those lame old freezer soufflés or whatevs.

Maybe I’m stuck in the Julia Child/Mary Tyler Moore/Carol Brady 1970s and soufflés are out of fashion. Or maybe, as I’m hoping, they’re a classic culinary test you’ll find exciting. I confess that I’ve never made one in my life and have been thinking about it for eons.

The main thing I know is that my brother is a passionate,lifelong swimmer and you have to pull him out of the water before his lips turn blue. I want the same thing for us and our bloggy kitchen. To have so much fun that they have to yank us from our kitchens, our lips still tasting of delicious creations.

xxx
Gumdrop

No comments:

Post a Comment