Saturday, February 28, 2009

Challenge #2: Soul Food

Dear Gumdrop,

Apologies for the delay in coming up with the next challenge, but I was wasting away in Kimchi-ville for the past week. Whilst I enjoyed the food in Korea a lot (I couldn’t bring myself to try the silk worm larvae on offer at every street corner though), savoring dak gal bee, bibimbap, bulgogi, manduk soup and endless glasses of soju, I was dismayed to discover that Koreans just don’t understand baked goods. Shop after shop offered the most divine looking confections in their windows, but once you tasted them, you discovered they were woefully lacking in soulful goodness. Like the knock-off designer bags on sale at the Migiloire market, they were all flash, no substance.

Case in point, IA, the Cuz and I wandered into this charming cafĂ© in this absolutely chic design museum one afternoon – all reclaimed brick, concrete floors, Eames chairs and helvetica font. What could be more perfect on this chilly winter afternoon on the other side of the world than a vanilla cupcake and a green tea latte? What arrived was a travesty. Let me tell you, a cupcake is a mere muffin if bereft of fluffy, sweet, velvety icing. When Dunkin Donuts is the baking highlight of your trip, you know things are dire. Not to be too harsh on Seoul, where there are myriad warm and homey savory dishes to savour, but nothing satisfied the soul of this sweet tooth (I did have some of the prettiest lattes though).

So, in honour of my return, I challenge you to create the ultimate layer cake, piled high with the clouds of frosting. Any flavour you’d like, any occasion will suffice as long as it tastes as good as it looks!
Xo
Pickle

No comments:

Post a Comment